Under the Hague Convention of 1961, signatory countries have agreed to recognize public documents issued by other signatory countries if those public documents are authenticated by the attachment of an internationally recognized form of authentication known as an “Apostille.” The Apostille ensures that public documents issued in one signatory country will be recognized as valid in another signatory country.
Note: If you are using the diploma in a country not listed in the signatory countries, you will need to contact the Embassy or Consulate of the country where you intend to use the document to discuss their authentication requirements. Some non-signatory countries may accept an Apostille. Others may require further steps.
Obtaining authentication can be a lengthy process due to notary requirements, shipping times and the multiple steps involved. Please plan accordingly.
These are the steps for your diploma to be authenticated/legalized:
- You must determine what document you need to be legalized (transcript, original diploma, replacement diploma, or photocopy of diploma) – the Registrar’s Office will not know what type of document you need.
- If you need to request an official transcript, you must request an official transcript. On the order form, mark it for PICKUP and for the name of the person picking it up, enter APOSTILLE REQUEST.
- You need to determine if the diploma needs to be an original, a replacement, or a photocopy. If you need a replacement diploma, there is a Replacement Diploma form (pdf).
- Your document must be certified by SUNY Poly and notarized by a notary public in Oneida County.
- The document must then be presented to the Oneida County Clerk’s office to certify the authenticity of the notary public’s signature.
- The document is then sent onto the New York State Department of State for apostille/authentication.
- The New York State Department of State will send the document either back to you or to the recipient (you must supply the envelope WITH POSTAGE for them to send the document).
What you need to submit to the Registrar's Office:
- Brief cover letter explaining what you need that includes how we may contact you (mailing address, telephone number, and e-mail).
- The document you require to be authenticated.
- If you need a replacement diploma, simply enclose a Replacement Diploma Request form (pdf) with payment
- If you have requested a transcript to be sent, include a note stating that you have requested a transcript through Parchment (formerly Credentials) to be legalized.
- Completed Apostille form (pdf) for the New York State Department of State.
- Check or money order made out to Oneida County Clerk's Office ($5 in U.S. currency per document - check or money order only).
- Check or money order made out to New York State Department of State ($10 in U.S. currency per document – you may pay this fee by credit or debit on the Apostille Request form (pdf) or by enclosing a check or money order).
A pre-addressed, postage-paid envelope. This envelope will be used by the NYS Secretary of State to mail the document to the address provided by you. The document may be sent back to you or to the final recipient – this is your choice, or it may be dictated by the final recipient. It is your responsibility to supply this information and to ensure that the postage affixed is adequate.
Mail all required documents to:
SUNY Polytechnic Institute
100 Seymour Rd
Utica, NY 13502
Once all the above documentation is received, the Registrar's Office will:
- Verify the student’s record to ensure there are no holds that would prohibit processing.
- Notarize the document.
- Present the notarized document (with payment) to the Oneida County Clerk’s office for authentication.
- Mail the notarized document with the completed NYS Department of State Apostille/Certification of Authentication Request form with your payment and pre-addressed, postage-paid envelope to the NYS Department of State.
The Apostille process can be very complicated and will usually take two to three weeks (if you require a replacement diploma to be printed, it can take more than a month). We are happy to help you navigate through this process. Please feel free to contact us if you have any questions or concerns about your request.
Questions? Contact the Registrar's Office at 315-792-7262 or email email@example.com
A comprehensive description of the Apostille is available at the NYS Secretary of State or the U.S. Department of State, Authentications Office websites.
Note that all fees cited are applicable as of June 2019. As SUNY Polytechnic Institute does not set these fees, they are subject to change at any time.